Ibusa Community Development Union (ICDU) is the development union of the Ibusa people legally registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC). It was established in 1946 when the organization was conceived with the name, ‘Ibusa Union’ which later transformed to the name ‘Ibusa Community Development Union’, the name it bears till date. The organization is headquartered in Nkata, Umueze, Ibusa but has several branches around the world.
Indigenes of the community and their wives are by birth members of the community. Any indigene of Ibusa is a member of the development union but he/she needs to activate the membership by officially registering himself/herself, attending meetings and paying dues and levies regularly.
Aims and objectives
Ibusa Community Development Union (ICDU) has the following aims and objectives:
- DIGITAL MEMBERSHIP DRIVE FOR THE ICDU WORLDWIDE
- CROWD FUNDING PROJECT TO DRIVE DEVELOPMENT IN IBUSA.
- FORMALISATION OF OWNERSHIP TITLES FOR IBUSA COMMON ASSETS.
- COMMITMENT TO PEACEFUL RESOLUTION TO ALL EXISTING LEADERSHIP CRISES ARISING FROM THE ESTABLISHMENT OF OBUZOR INSTITUTION IN IBUSA.
- REDEFINITION OF CONTENT AND PROCESS OF ICDU NATIONAL CONFERENCE.
- VISIBLE ENGAGEMENT OF GOVERNMENTS (LOCAL, STATE AND FEDERAL) IN THE AFFAIRS OF IBUSA.
- SUPPORT AND CONSTRUCTIVE ENGAGEMENT OF OUR POLITICAL OFFICE HOLDERS FOR SUSTAINABLE CONSTITUENCY PRESENCE IN IB’USA.
- SUPPORT TO THE OBUZOR, THE SENIOR DIOKPA OF IB’UZOR AND ALL OTHER PROGRESSIVE TRADITIONAL INSTITUTIONS IN IBUSA.
- SUPPORT FOR CRITICAL ENGAGEMENT OF SCHOOLS AND TERTIARY INSTITUTIONS IN IBUSA.
- SUPPORT AND PROMOTIONS OF IBUSA CULTURE AND TRADITIONS.
- ANY OTHER CRITICAL ENGAGEMENT AS MAY BE DEMANDED BY TIME
It is founded on trustees and at the administrative level, run by the National Executive Council (NEC). The organization holds a conference on annual basis in Nkata, Umueze quarters of the community in which delegates from all the branches and other indigenes of the community are in representation. This is where suggestions and ideas relating to the organization on one hand and the community at large at taken with decisions taken by the organization in a communique often released in consequence. Elections into offices of the organization are usually democratic and leaders at the branch level are called ‘Presidents’ while the overall leader of the organization is known as ‘President-General’.
ICDU President-Generals from 1942 to date
- Mr. J. C. K Odiah – 1942 – 1949
- Mr. C. J. Obiorah – 1950 – 1952
- Mr. S. N. Nwanze – 1953 – 1956
- Mr. Paul Okeze – 1957 – 1959
- Mr. J. C. K. Odiah – 1960 – 1970
- Mr. S. N. Nwanze – 1971 – 1974
- Mr. P. O. Agokei – 1974 – 1978
- Prof. Chike Onwuachi – 1979 – 1981
- Mr. P. O. Agokei – 1982 – 1984
- Dr. Godwin Nwabueze – 1991 – 2000
- Dr. Lawrence Okonmah – 2001 – 2002
- Barr. Femi Okafor – 2003 – 2004
- Mr. Austine N. Abuah – 2005 – 2006
- Prof. Tony Arinze – 2007 – 2016
- Dr. Austine N. Izagbo – 2016 – date